This casserole can be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator for next day serving. Just omit the cheese and French fried onions. When ready to use, cover the casserole with aluminum foil and pop into the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until hot. Remove from oven, sprinkle top with cheese and French fried onions and bake 5 minutes more.
4-boneless, skinless chicken breasts halves, cut into cubes
1 1/4 cups rotini pasta
1 (14-16 ounce) package frozen broccoli florets, thawed
1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper,[ or to taste].
1 cup sour cream
1 (1 ounce) envelope ranch dressing mix, dry.
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups French fried onions
1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter or margarine in 10 inch skillet. Cook the chicken, turning often, until no longer pink. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to a rapid boil. Add corkscrew pasta and cook 8-10 minutes or until the pasta is tender. Drain well. Pour pasta into bottom of a well buttered 3 quart casserole dish.
3. Layer the thawed broccoli florets over the pasta, then layer the chicken over the broccoli.
4. In a large bowl, combine the soups, milk, minced onion, salt, pepper,sour cream and ranch dressing mix.Stir together until thoroughly blended. Pour soup mixture over ingredients in casserole dish.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and top with shredded cheddar cheese and French-fried onions. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the onions are lightly browned. Serves 4.