These light, fluffy, golden brown yeast rolls, are the crowning touch to your perfect dinner.
1 package active dry yeast*
1/2 cup very warm water (not hot)
1 large egg
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons melted vegetable shortening
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups lukewarm water
7 cups all-purpose flour
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the egg, sugar, melted shortening and salt; blend well. Add the 2 cups lukewarm water. Stir in 4 cups of the flour; mix well. Add yeast mixture to flour mixture and beat until well blended and smooth. Gradually add remaining flour, beating well after each addition.
3. Transfer dough mixture to a large, well greased bowl; cover tightly and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
4. Remove dough from refrigerator and place on a lightly floured board. Shape into rolls and dip top of each roll in melted butter. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees F for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
* Always check the freshness date on the yeast package to be sure it is fresh. Yeast must be fresh or the rolls will not rise properly.