A delicious side filled with old-fashioned good taste! Can also be served as a meatless main dish.
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups milk
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 (16 oz) bag frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
1-1/2 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
1. In a 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter or margarine; add onion and cook until tender, about 4 minutes.
2. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder; blend well. Add milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
3. Gradually add eggs and cheese. Stir in corn and parsley. Pour into an 11×7-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
4. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and 1-1/2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine; sprinkle over corn mixture in baking dish.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes or until mixture is set and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.