Treat your family to a batch of these rich, nutty chocolate bars today!
2 sticks (1 cup) butter or margarine, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk*
1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1. In a large mixer bowl, beat butter or margarine until creamy. Beat in flour, sugar and salt until crumbly.
2. With floured fingers, press 2 cups crumb mixture onto bottom of a greased 13×9-inch baking pan; reserve remaining mixture. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
3. In a small heavy saucepan over low heat, warm 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk, stirring until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract. Spread mixture over hot crust.
4. Add walnuts and remaining chocolate chips to the reserved crumb mixture; blend well. Sprinkle over chocolate filling. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set. Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 30 bars.
* Do Not use evaporated milk.