Tender chicken, flavorful vegetables in a rich creamy sauce covered with a flaky crust; comfort food at it’s very best!
Crust (recipe below)
1 (10 oz) package frozen mixed vegetables
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (10.5 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup milk
3 cups cooked cubed chicken
1. In a medium saucepan, cook the mixed vegetables according to package directions; set aside. In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, cook the onions and mushrooms in butter until tender, about 3 minutes.
2. Stir in the flour, sage, thyme, parsley flakes, salt and pepper. Add the cream of chicken soup, milk and chicken; blend well. Cook and stir until hot and bubbly.
3. Pour mixture into a 2-quart round or rectangle baking dish. Place crust over mixture and brush with melted butter. Prick crust all over with a fork. Bake at 450 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly and crust is lightly browned.
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup shortening
4-6 tablespoons iced water
1. In a medium bowl cut the shortening into the flour with pastry cutter until crumbly. Add water a tablespoon at a time until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface.
2. Roll into a circle or rectangle, (depending on the shape dish you are using), large enough to fit the dish with 1/4-inch extra to turn under around edges.