These wonderfully rich tasting oatmeal cookie bars are sure to disappear in a flash!
1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
1/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup butter
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1. In a large bowl, combine the oatmeal, water and butter; let sit until butter is melted.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
3. Add the sugar, brown sugar and eggs to the oatmeal mixture; blend well. Add the flour mixture a little at a time mixing well after each addition.
4. Spread mixture into bottom of a well greased 9×13-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes.
5. In a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter; stir in the brown sugar and milk until blended. Remove from the heat and add the coconut and pecans. Spread over top of cooked base. Allow to cool before cutting. Makes 24 bars.