Tender golden potatoes, flaky bites of smoked salmon in a rich creamy cheese sauce. Yummy!
8 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup thinly sliced onion
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups half-and-half
1 cup Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill weed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
12 ounces smoked salmon, flaked into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup plain bread crumbs
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Fill a 4-quart saucepan 2/3 full with water; heat to boiling over high heat. Add the potatoes and cook for 6 to 9 minutes or until almost tender; drain and return to the saucepan.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
3. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt the 2 tablespoons butter; add onions and cook and stir until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the flour. Gradually add the half-and-half and heat to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese, dill, salt and pepper until the cheese is melted.
4. Pour sauce mixture over the potatoes in saucepan; spoon 1/2 the potato mixture into baking dish. Top with 1/2 the salmon; repeat the layers.
5. Stir together the bread crumbs and 3 tablespoons melted butter; sprinkle over the salmon. Bake uncovered 30 to 40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the topping is browned. Makes 8 servings.