Thanksgiving dinner wouldn’t be complete without a yummy and delicious dessert. This decadent chocolate layer cake covered with rich chocolate frosting is sure to be an all-time favorite!
6 ounces white chocolate (for garnish)
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup + 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
3/4 cup very hot water
1/2 pint heavy cream
10-1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate
1. Using a vegetable peeler, finely grate the white chocolate onto a plate; chill until ready to use. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease the bottoms of two 8-inch round cake pans; line with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and eggs. Beat on medium speed of electric mixer until smooth; continue beating until increased in volume, about 2 minutes longer. Add the hot water and beat 1 minute longer. Divide the batter between the two pans.
3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes; turn onto wire rack. Peel off the parchment paper; let cool.
4. In a heavy saucepan, heat the heavy cream just to a boil. Break chocolate into pieces and add to the cream stirring until melted. Allow to cool and chill for 30 minutes. Whisk until thickened to a spreadable consistency.
5. Place one cake layer on a cake plate; spread with 1/3 of the chocolate frosting. Place the 2nd cake layer on top; spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle with white chocolate to garnish. Makes 8 generous servings.