Yummy and wholesome goodness in every bite of this easy-to-fix four bean side dish!
8 bacon strips, diced
2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (16 ounce) can baked beans, undrained
1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can cut green beans, drained
1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Set bacon aside. Sauté onions in reserved drippings until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard and garlic powder. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until onions are golden brown.
2. Place beans in a 3-quart slow cooker. Add onion mixture and bacon; stir to combine. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 7 hours or until heated through. Makes 8 servings.
For those busy nights when you are short on time but want to serve your family a hot and flavorful dinner, try this delicious pasta recipe. Tender strands of fettuccine coated in a creamy Parmesan sauce will satisfy even the picky eaters at your table!
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups whipping cream
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
1 (16 ounce) box fettuccine
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
1. In a large bowl, beat the butter with electric mixer set on low speed until smooth. Add the whipping cream and Parmesan cheese; stir until well blended. Set aside.
2. Cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain well. Add the cooked pasta to the butter mixture. Toss pasta using two forks to coat well. Add the salt and pepper. Sprinkle with shredded basil leaves. Makes 4 servings.
Roasted garlic and rich sour cream give these mashed potatoes a creamy twist.
2-1/4 pounds russet potatoes
1 whole garlic bulb
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
fresh chives, cut into small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Peel potatoes and cut into even-size pieces. Place in a large pot of lightly salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until cooked through; about 20 minutes.
2. Separate garlic cloves but do not peel them. Place in a bowl, add olive oil and toss to coat. Place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven until softened, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
3. Drain the potatoes and return to the pot; mash slightly. Add sour cream and butter. Quickly squeeze pulp from the garlic cloves into potatoes. Add salt and pepper; mash potatoes until combined and smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl; sprinkle with chives. Makes 4 servings.
The perfect vegetable recipe to compliment your favorite meat main dish.
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups Brussels sprouts, cut in half
1/2 pound parsnips, peeled, quartered, then cut into 2-inch pieces
1/2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups baby carrots
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Melt the butter in a 1-quart saucepan; stir in sage and garlic.
2. Place the remaining ingredients in an ungreased 13×9-inch baking dish; pour the butter mixture over the vegetables and stir to coat.
3. Cover with foil; bake 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake about 15 minutes longer or until the vegetables are tender. Makes 6 servings.
If your family is like mine, pasta of any kind is always welcome at the dinner table. This creamy, cheesy, easy-to-make recipe is no exception!
1 (10-3/4 ounces) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (8 ounce) package shredded two-cheese blend
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups rotini pasta, cooked and drained
1. In a 1-1/2-quart casserole, combine the soup, cheeses, milk and pepper; stir in the cooked pasta.
2. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Makes 4 servings.
This is a wonderful recipe for using fresh corn from your garden or local farmer’s market.
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 cup fresh corn kernels*
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1-3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground sage
1 (10-3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil; add the corn, pepper and onion and cook for 6 minutes or until the vegetables start to brown.
2. Add the rice; cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in the broth and sage; heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low; cover and cook 20 minutes or until the rice is done and most of the liquid is absorbed.
3. Stir in the soup; cook 2 minutes more, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
* You may substitute 1 cup of drained, canned whole kernel corn for fresh corn, if desired.
1 (10-3/4 ounces) can condensed cream of chicken with herbs soup
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 (16 ounces) bag frozen broccoli cuts, thawed
1-1/3 cups French fried onions
1. Combine the soup, milk, lemon juice, broccoli and 2/3 cup of the onions in a 1-1/2-quart casserole; stir and cover.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until the broccoli is tender; stir.
3. Sprinkle the remaining onions over the broccoli mixture; bake 5 more minutes or until the onions are golden brown. Makes 6 servings.
My family enjoys cabbage most any way I fix it but this is one of their favorite recipes (mine too)! It goes great with beef, pork or chicken.
1 medium head of cabbage, core removed and cut into wedges
1large onion, peeled and cut into wedges
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup crushed saltine crackers
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups milk
1. Place the cabbage and onion wedges in a large pot; cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until tender; drain.
2. Add the remaining ingredients to the drained cooked cabbage; stir to blend. Pour into a buttered 13×9-inch casserole. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned on top and sauce is thickened. Makes 8 servings.